Heidecksburg Palace

Residence of the House of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt

Heidecksburg Palace, which towers above the small town of Rudolstadt, offers magnificent views of the Saale Valley; from 1571 to 1918 it served as the residence of the Counts and later Princes of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt. The present-day palace complex, with two terraces to the east, was preceded by a palace complex and a three-winged Renaissance palace. St Andrew’s Church, to the east of the Schlossberg, served as the family church and burial place of the Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt family.

After a fire in 1735 had largely destroyed the north and west wings of the palace, Prince Friedrich Anton initially commissioned the reconstruction of the west wing based on plans by Johann Christoph Knöffel. The interior was designed by Gottfried Heinrich Krohne. A particular eye-catcher is the 44-metre-high palace tower above the main staircase. Today, Heidecksburg Palace houses the Thuringian State Museum, the Thuringian State Archives – Rudolstadt State Archives – and is also the headquarters of the Thuringian Palaces and Gardens Foundation.

At a glance

Address

Thuringian State Museum Heidecksburg: Rococo en Miniature, Palace Rooms, Natural History Museum
Schloßbezirk 1
07407 Rudolstadt
Tel: 0 36 72 – 42 9010
Email
Website

Opening hours

Thuringian State Museum, Heidecksburg
Rococo en Miniature, palace rooms, Natural History Museum
Tue – Sun 10 am – 5 pm

Park/Garden
all year round, until dusk

Administration

Heidecksburg Palace Administration
Schloßbezirk 1
07407 Rudolstadt
Tel: 01 73 – 5 77 62 86
Email