Molsdorf Palace Park
Cultural delights and joie de vivre
Molsdorf Palace Park dates back to the first half of the 18th century. Richly decorated with sculptures, it was one of the most eminent Baroque gardens in Thuringia. Count Gustav Adolf von Gotter, a successful diplomat and hedonistic bon vivant, created this secluded idyll for himself and his guests. When the new English style of gardening arrived in Germany, the baroque garden was redesigned and turned into a landscape park from 1788 onwards. Many of the sculptures were sold. The remaining pieces were finely restored. A selection of them can now be admired in the lapidarum garden, which was newly created in 1998.