• Schloss Bertholdsburg

  • Schloss Bertholdsburg in Schleusingen

finder-icon

Finder

Bertholdsburg Castle, Schleusingen

Thüringens ältestes Residenzschloss

null

Am Zusammenfluss der Erle und der Nahe, inmitten der mittelalterlichen Kleinstadt Schleusingen, erhebt sich das mächtige Schloss Bertholdsburg. Ab dem 13. Jahrhundert diente es den Grafen von Henneberg als Stammsitz und ist das älteste Residenzschloss Thüringens. Im 15. und 16. Jahrhundert wurde die wehrhafte Burg zu einem frühneuzeitlichen Schloss im Stil der Renaissance umgebaut. Heute befindet sich im Schloss das Naturhistorische Museum. Der 40 Meter hohe Hauptturm gibt einen malerischen Blick auf die südlichen Ausläufer des Thüringer Waldes frei.


On the occasion of a visit in 1840 the writer Ludwig Bechstein praised the Henneberg-Thuringian town of Schleusingen. Not only that it distinguished itself by its “picturesque position on the southern slope of the Thuringian Forest”, also “with regard to its history it would only be justified if it had precedence over the others”.Indeed, the Henneberg rulers, who used Bertholdsburg Castle as their residence after they had moved there from the ancestral castle of Henneberg, enjoyed a high reputation in the Holy Roman Empire. The last count of Henneberg, Georg Ernst, started the Reformation in his country. Apart from the Landesschule he also founded the Gymnasialbibliothek (grammar school library), thus helping Schleusingen to develop into an important school town. The outside architectural appearance of the complex is considerably determined by its towers – most of all by the 30-metre high octagonal castle or watch tower. From there one has a wonderful panorama of the town and its surroundings. Above the Renaissance portal of the main tower the Henneberg coat of arms made of sandstone and dating from the 16th century stands out. To this day the black hen on a green hill and in a yellow field can be found in the town of Schleusingen’s coat of arms. The initials of the banner above the door “V.G.G.W.G.U.H.Z.H. - Von Gottes Gnaden Wilhelm Graf und Herr zu Henneberg“ (By the Grace of God, Wilhelm Count and Lord of Henneberg) refer to the building activity of Wilhelm IV (1495-1559). In 1934 the use of Bertholdsburg Castle for museum purposes began; this function was considerably substantiated when a natural history museum was founded here in 1984. On the latter’s first and second floor, for instance, the wooden beam ceilings from the 16th century and the half-timbered walls had to be extensively repaired. The museum also profited when this work was finished, because now another 800 square metres of exhibition space are available for its collections of natural history, mineralogy and palaeontology as well as for the history of the castle and the region.


Among the historic rooms of Bertholdsburg Castle two halls in the north wing are particularly remarkable. While one of them has a floral stuccoed ceiling, the wall paintings from the 16th century in the second hall describe “the twelve labours of Hercules”.

null

Ausstattungsmerkmale

Bushaltestelle
drones are forbidden
weddings
guided tours
station
Museum
null


Naturhistorisches Museum

Öffnungszeitraum
28. April 2020 bis 31. December 2020
opening hours
Heute 9:00 – 17:00 Uhr geöffnet

Einlass bis 1 Stunde vor Schließung des Museums

24.12. geschlossen
25., 26., 31.12., 01.01.: 13:00 - 18:00 Uhr


Weitere Einrichtungen
Aussichtsturm


Naturhistorisches Museum

Burgstrasse 6
98553 Schleusingen
T: 03 68 41-53 10

Schlossverwaltung Bertholdsburg

Burgstraße 6
98553, Schleusingen
T: 03 68 41 - 53 12 14


Führungen im Schloss mit Museum nach Voranmeldung


Erwachsene: 6,- €
ermäßigt: 4,- €

alle Preiskategorien


Keine Parkplätze am Objekt

Kurzzeitparkplätze für PKW und Bus vor der Burg, sonst Parkplätze in der Stadt für PKW und Bus nutzbar (ca. 150 Meter und 500 Meter entfernt)


in der Stadt vorhanden